Hello DanceWorks Families,
As you may know, Washington State has cancelled school starting Monday. Due to snow we had to cancel classes for Saturday.
Physical classes at DanceWorks will stop temporarily beginning Monday March 16th – Sunday April 5th. DanceWorks will reassess the situation at that time. We want to be socially responsible to prevent the spread of the coronavirus and protect the lives of those who are at greater risk for contracting the virus.
Beginning next week, classes at DanceWorks will be changing to an online module for the 2 weeks leading up to Spring Break to allow our students to continue their training and have some similar form of routine and exercise.
I will be working with instructors over this weekend on preparing the online modules and will get the information out to you on how it will work asap. Our goal is to begin classes on Tuesday March 17th with a Virtual class each day and prerecorded classes available online with age appropriate material. This will also give students who have never tried a particular genre of dance an opportunity to try a new style. Class choreography for end of year performances, music, challenges and homework assignments will also be given.It is important that we continue in our training to give our students some semblance of normalcy.
I would like to remind our DanceWorks families:
- Your family has invested time and money into this training so please do not throw that away due to this event. We can continue training online and then resume back into the studio having progressed during this temporary situation.
- More than ever our kids will need exercise and physical activity. This is key to staying healthy and happy!
- Having our kids stick to their routine (even if their dance classes are now at home) helps reduce anxiety for our kids. I know many dancers have had competitions, school events and sports cancelled in one day. It is a huge blow especially when they have worked hard towards a goal for a long time.
- There are some HUGE benefits of having class online such as you can access it any time. Not only that, they can access it multiple times a week! This is like getting many classes for the price of just one.
- Small business needs your support during this trying time if we are going to survive and continue to be a fixture in this community once this passes. We have rent and other overhead expenses that have to be paid regardless, and our teachers sincerely need to continue working for their livelihood. I am thinking of this as we are opening new doors and new ways to educate and we are going to make it through this together!
Answers to questions you may have:
How will the online dance classes work?
I have been researching this for the past few days and will meet with our teachers this weekend to set class plans. You will receive weekly links to lessons for your specific class that will have you learning technique, learning your recital choreography, working on flexibility, conditioning and some fun extras! I will also be implementing ways for you to send in questions to the instructors, for the older dancers to communicate and share their videos of them creating & practicing choreography, conditioning and free styling. We will send out some additional links so kids can try some different styles while at home. For example if your student is in a tap and ballet combo, we will send video links for their class and an additional hip hop video for their age that they can dance to. All of these videos will be under a private setting so only those involved can view. Of course for those who want to email us videos of them dancing at home, we would love to post them to encourage everyone out there to keep at it.
How will I access my digital class or get more info?
All of this information will be found online at https://danceworksperformingarts.com/covid19/
What about the Spring Ballet and June Showcase?
We at DanceWorks are moving forward as planned toward an end of the season showcase for our amazing performers and all of their hard work. These students deserve it! As I mentioned above, we will continue learning performance choreography with the online classes and go from there. We have options such as moving our Spring Ballet to June, possibly recording the show without an audience and live streaming it. We are researching options and will reassess in a month. We don’t have to rush and decide now.
What about costumes?
All costumes have been ordered and we can wait until classes resume in the studio to fit these.
What about competition teams and fees?
I will address these students in a separate email as soon as I have information from the various competitions regarding cancellations or date changes.
Please email us any questions you may have. I know if we stay positive and work together we can ride this out and get our amazing lives back to normal.
More information will be available in the coming days at https://danceworksperformingarts.com/covid19/
I look forward to communicating with you again soon on our new adventure of online training!
Karen Cannon, Director
DanceWorks Performing Arts